Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Buildings and Patterns because #iteachmath

This trip to India has included many instances of me taking pictures of buildings, and floors. I teach lessons on symmetry a lot, and so I like to use interesting images from real life, rather than just thinking about capital letters. So, this post is mostly pictures that I'll use for my classes.
Hotel De 1942 and the Taj Mahal.
Here are tile patterns of the Taj Mahal, nearly 400 years old.
Kashmiris are known for wood carvings. Everywhere I went there were intricately detailed patterns on the walls and ceilings. Also below is the "Crown of Srinigar," the Shalimar Bagh Mughal Garden, a 12 tier fountain and public park where Kashmiri children swam, and families picnicked.
Even the JNV schools had pleasingly symetric designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment