Sunday, July 28, 2019

Incredible Educators

I am delighted and honoured to have been selected as a Fulbright Teacher for Global Exchange. The experience has helped me focus on how I can bring global competencies into my own classroom, whether that be using mathematical tools to help students understand global concerns, or simply connecting students in my classes with those from other classes around the world. It has also brought me together with some incredible educators, including the twelve Fulbrighters who were in my cohort here in India.

I want to give special recognition, however, to two incredible educators that I have had the privilege of working with during this experience.

I knew I would get along great with Rathnakaran Kozhukkunnon Othayoth (Rathna) within three minutes of him picking us up at the airport, when he pulled out his phone and opened up the Desmos app. I spent a week with him touring his school and others, and taking in the sights of Kerala. At all times he was friendly yet professional, and constantly on the phone or signing papers for his teachers. The work of a principal at a JNV boarding school is 24 hours, so when he left campus he phone generally rang off the hook. I was impressed with his leadership skills as a principal, and with the respect shown to him by his teachers.

He, too, was a Fulbright Scholar in the U.S., where he spent 5 months at the University of Indiana, Bloomington. His focus during the program was using Information and Communication Tools, which he had clearly brought back to his school. His teachers were using Kahoots, had been trained as a Kahn Academy school, and were eager to learn more. This week he will be on the phone with the wise folks at Desmos to see what kind of support they can bring to India.

Rathna is also a very humble, and kind man. He welcomed Bill and I into his home for dinner, where we met his son, a computer engineer, and his daughter, who is top of her grade 10 class, and an incredible ping pong player. He also took care of me when I got a stomach bug, and insisted that he call his doctor son-in-law for a consultation, which was the right thing to do.

I'm glad to have made a new friend, and excited to continue to work with Rathna in the future.

Dr. Bill Clark told me that he doesn't like much being called Dr., but, if you earn a PhD like he did, then there it is. He is what a second (or third/fourth?) career teacher should be. He is passionate about his students, passionate about being in the classroom, and a prolific writer. Check out his blog if you want to see a better day to day experience than this one.

Bill's school is unique; Winooski is a small town in Vermont that has definied itself as a refugee resettlement area. In contrast to neighboring school districts, a significant proportion of his students are foreign born, many from Nepal and Somalia. From his description, it sounds like the kind of progressive rural community I would enjoy. What impressed me so much about Bill is that his students are why he was interested in the program. Despite having a long and varied career, this trip to India was his first out of the country. He wanted to better understand the lives that his students were coming from, so that he could better reach them. I can think of no better motivation to become a Fulbright Scholar.
He was also a solid travel companion; he is a good planner, and also soaked up the culture. Indeed, my laissaiz-faire "cool guy traveler" attitude left me with a stomach bug for two days, while he was diving into everything that was presented to him, jumping right out his comfort zone at every occasion. He is well-spoken, and sincere, and I was always glad that at official events he would be asked to speak first, because he set the standard. I loved watching him connect with students teaching Emily Dickinson's poem, I'm Nobody. Last I heard from him he was off on a train to ride camels in Rajastan. I hope to work with Dr. Clark again soon.


1 comment: