Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Why I teach


I try to be a dynamic, authentic teacher trying to demystify mathematics and change the perception the discipline has in popular culture. 

I'm in my 15th year as an educator, and have been fortunate to have had an incredibly varied experience in teaching math. I teach because it's fun, and I enjoy the satisfaction of preparing students with some of the basic foundations of our common understanding that will help them solve problems in their lives, and hopefully advance us all.

My ultimate joy in teaching math is when students demonstrate an understanding of using math as a tool to describe their environment, rather than an end in itself. Mathematics can be a language for efficient communication. 

Bottom line for me is that nothing motivates more than success. Students need to feel like that can be successful in order to see the use. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice work, G. I am quite sure that you have met your goal of being an "dynamic, authentic teacher."

    ReplyDelete